Monday, February 7, 2011

First Chicago Snow

I arrived safely on Thursday at O'Hare! One thing I must comment on is that Chicago knows how to handle snow (see picture). Coming from the south, where the mere mention of snow means everyone is running to the grocery store to prepare for the armageddon, it is impressive to see how quickly everything was back up and running.


I am living in Pilsen which is a great little part of town with two amazing people Jessica and Justin and their two cats Callie and Freedom (I still miss Dave!). They have a great apartment with a nice little private room that I rent from them. Full kitchen, bath, living space and NO TV! Great for studying and exploring. While it would be nice to wake up and be able to watch soccer in the comfort of my apartment, I am forced to go to a bar and interact with the people of Chicago! Luckily I have a really good friend who works at one. Small Bar is certainly going to be my weekend soccer destination!

Rob, Paul and I decided to take a trip down to Indiana (my first time) to visit the Three Floyds Brewing Company on Saturday night. It was a great place with amazing beer, delicious food, and awesome service (don't remember the hosts name but he treated us like kings because Rob and Paul knew him from working at Small Bar). Dreadnaught IPA is probably the best imperial/double IPA I've ever had.

Sunday we had our meet and greet at Siebel followed by watching the Super Bowl at Goose Island Brewpub which is conveniently less than one hundred yards away from Siebel. The class is a great bunch of guys from all over the US and the world (England, Egypt etc) and one brave girl! It takes a certain type of person to throw caution to the wind and go for your dream. The Siebel class is full of those people. I encourage everyone to do whatever possible to take that leap. You will never be happier!

First day of class played out like Christmas morning with the lectures being received like a sought after toy. Never have I, in my life, been disappointed that it was the end of the school day, until today. The enthusiasm for learning resonates throughout the class. Ohh ya, we have free beer in our bierstube. More on that later!

Now that I am settled I will keep everyone updated on a much more regular basis. Please feel free to leave comments at the bottom. I will be reading them! Make sure you click on the comment link, type your message, and then hit "post comment". If you guys have trouble email me and I will see if we can't get it figured out! I leave you with a picture taken from a bridge Matt G told me to visit (I think its the one!)



Location:Chicago IL

6 comments:

  1. where are all these updates? how about some beer photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely using you as an excuse to visit Half Acre Brewing Co. as well as a few more while I'm at it! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Studying a lot this week. I'll get more stuff up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robbie--Mom just gave me the heads up on your blog and I'm excited about following your exploits. Couple of things: I love that you are a brew student living in a neighborhood called Pilsen. Also an imperial/ double IPA sounds absurd. I"m gonna have to try to get my hands on some of that. Glad to hear that things have gotten off to a good start up there and can't wait to hear more. Take good care and best of luck. Best, Will McLean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robbie,
    I'm JT LaBruyere's uncle(I married his Aunt Carole) and am an avid homebrewer. Mind if I live vicariously through your Master Brewer program? You're living the dream. I'm also a fan of Three Floyds - GumballHead is good one as is Robert the Bruce. Haven't tried the Double IPA but it sounds great. When I lived in Chicago, I was also a big fan of Goose Island Brewery's Honker's Ale - a nice example of a Special Bitter.

    You're in a world-class program at Siebel. You're going to have a great time. I look forward to following your adventure via your blog.

    Phil Morris
    "Bitter Friends Brewery", a 10 gallon all-grain brewery in my garage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Please do Phil! Also, while im not going to put all that much beer nerdery up in the blog posts, if you have questions and want to shoot me an email feel free! ocainr@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete