Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Return Home: Munich Edition

With the Master Brewer Program on the horizon, I decided to head back to Munich on Thursday. Another easy ICE trip back to Bavaria was a wonderful feeling. While I had actually spent more time in Brussels than I did in Munich, the place just feels like home. Getting off the train in the Hauptbahnhof almost felt like coming coming home!

I do have to give a special thanks to Alex for letting me stay with her for my few weeks in Brussels. I really enjoyed getting to cook again and the ability to relax and recharge the batteries. It was funny that most of her friends which I was introduced to asked me how long I had known Alex, and it turns out I had known her at least twice or three times as long. It is actually a little sad that it has been that long since we were camp counselors, but goes to show that the "camp" friendships really are lifelong. I remember well the days of trying to explain why camp was such an important place and why I had to go every summer, but found that putting it into words was nearly impossible. I guess this part of my trip explains that relationship as well as any previous attempt.

Back in Munich, I had met back up with my classmates. It is good to get back and hear about the travels of other people in exactly the same situation as you. It has definitely given me ideas for the travel period after I have finished with the Master's program. It is also good to be around people who are so interested in beer.

After getting settled at the hostel (where we be staying for the next couple of months), we went out for the obligatory "football at the english garden" Sunday. We have met some locals who we have established an email group so we can arrange a time to get out and play. Life can't get much better, biking Monday - Friday to beer school, Friday and Saturday - study/sightsee/party - and Sunday afternoon at the English garden playing football for a few hours then off to a bier garden for a half liter of helles (German for standard lager beer). With all the biking and footballing, it is not just my body who has felt at times, unable to keep up. My shoes also bit the dust. Lucky for me, the Europeans offer my favorite style of shoes is cool color combinations that you don't regularly see in the states. I present, the new kicks:



Location:Munich, Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment